Tuesday, November 27th is Giving Tuesday and it’s basically a day to give back. It was started in 2012 as a response to all the consumerism of the holidays, especially Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The idea is to mark the beginning of the charitable season and to encourage people to give to organizations and charities that are doing good and here are a few ways you can get involved.
- Donate to your favorite nonprofit - Give to a charity that does work in line with your values, whether that’s a group that supports immigrant families or the LGBTQ community. If you’re not sure who to support, check out the #GivingTuesday site for ideas.
- Volunteer your time - If you can spare some time on Tuesday, roll up your sleeves and donate it to organizations that need hands-on help.
- Start your own fundraiser - If you have a Facebook account, let the power of social media help your favorite nonprofit. Just click “Fundraisers” on the left-hand side of the Facebook page under the Explore tab. There you’ll see options to start a fundraiser for #GivingTuesday. This year, Facebook and PayPal will match donations up to a total of $7-million.
- Share your experience on social media - If you can’t give financially, a free way to help is by boosting #GivingTuesday posts on social media. Use the hashtag #GivingTuesday and repost and retweet to show nonprofits some extra love.
- Start a charitable giving habit - It’s important to give back any time you can, not just the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, so if you’re able, sign up to donate once a month or quarterly to support your favorite charities year-round.