Ruth Bader Ginsburg was only the second woman appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court as a justice. Ginsburg was an advocate of women's rights and gender equality in her over 27 years of service.
Here are 17 quotes that may inspire you in both professional and personal endeavors:
1. "Real change, enduring change, happens one step at a time."
2. "So often in life, things that you regard as an impediment turn out to be great, good fortune."
3. "Reacting in anger or annoyance will not advance one's ability to persuade."
4. "When a thoughtless or unkind word is spoken, best tune out."
5. "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you."
6. "You can't have it all, all at once."
7. "I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others."
8. "In the course of a marriage, one accommodates the other."
9. "In every good marriage, it helps sometimes to be a little deaf."
10. "A gender line ... helps to keep women not on a pedestal, but in a cage."
11. "If you want to be a true professional, do something outside yourself."
12. "Reading is the key that opens doors to many good things in life. Reading shaped my dreams, and more reading helped me make my dreams come true."
13. "Don't be distracted by emotions like anger, envy, resentment. These just zap energy and waste time."
14. "You can disagree without being disagreeable."
15. "If you have a caring life partner, you help the other person when that person needs it. I had a life partner who thought my work was as important as his, and I think that made all the difference for me."
16. "Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. It shouldn't be that women are the exception."
17. "I would like to be remembered as someone who used whatever talent she had to do her work to the very best of her ability."