There are plenty of major life moments folks look forward to, but a new survey reveals which of these life moments are most important may depend on when generation you were born in.
A survey of 2,000 adults in the U.S. split evenly from Gen Z to baby boomers finds some very interesting generational differences when it comes to which life moments people are most excited for.
- Gen Z is the only generation that didn’t list “having a child” as the life moment they weremostexcited for.
- Instead, there are three things Gen Z is most excited for:
- Travel somewhere new (23.8%)
- Buy a house (23.8%)
- Earn a diploma, degree or certification (23.8%)
- In fact, having children was tied for fifth place with reaching a health goal (22.%), and spending more time with friends is more important (23%).
As for the other generations, their top life moments include:
Millennials (Ages 24-39)
- Have a child/children (36%)
- Buy a house (31.6%)
- Travel somewhere new (30%)
- Reach a health goal (29.8%)
- Get married (26.8%)
Generation X (Ages 40-55)
- Have a child/children (42.6%)
- Get married (37.2%)
- Buy a house (34.2%)
- Travel somewhere new (33.6%)
- Watch my child(ren) graduate (32.8%)
Baby Boomers (Ages 56+)
- Have a child/children (40.6%)
- Get married (39.2%)
- Watch my grandchildren grow up (38%)
- Watch my child(ren) graduate (35.4%)
- Retire (35.2%)