According to the WMATA, the Metro has already created a plan of action for its passengers planing to attend the March For Our Lives. Below are some tips for travel:
- Plan ahead. Every Metro rider (age 5 and up) needs his or her own SmarTrip card. To avoid long lines on March 24, purchase your SmarTrip card in advance from any Metrorail station, CVS Pharmacy or Giant Food stores. On-line orders after Friday, March 9 will still be accepted but may not be received prior to the event due to fulfillment and shipping times.
- Expect large crowds. The March, combined with Cherry Blossom visitors, could result in one of Metro's highest ridership days. Plan for the possibility of lines and intermittent delays due to crowds.
- Travel light. To make room for everyone, bicycles, large coolers and other oversized items will not be permitted on Metrorail on March 24.
- Selected stations may be closed. Due to crowd management and/or security concerns, selected Metrorail stations may be closed on March 24. In addition, selected station entrances may be designated "entry only" or "exit only" at various times to help speed your trip. Details will be posted on this page.
Fares (Paying for Your Trip)
- All event attendees are strongly encouraged to buy SmarTrip cards in advance to avoid long lines and unnecessary waiting. SmarTrip cards are sold at all Metrorail stations and at local CVS/Pharmacy and Giant stores. On-line orders after Friday, March 9 will still be accepted but may not be received prior to the event due to fulfillment and shipping times.
- If you already have a SmarTrip card, load it with enough value in advance to cover all travel on March 24.
- Each Metro rider age 5 and up needs his or her own SmarTrip card. Tap the card at the fare gates to enter and exit the rail system.
- Metro suggests purchasing a stored value SmarTrip card for $10 ($2 for the card + $8 in Metro value) OR anunlimited one-day pass for $14.50. The $10 card will cover roundtrip travel between any two stations on March 24. However, if you plan to take more than two trips on March 24, we recommend the unlimited pass.
- Off-peak fares will be in effect all day on March 24. The maximum off-peak fare between any two stations is $3.85.
For more information on planning a Metro route to the March, click here.